Fourth Coast Ensemble and Sparks & Wiry Cries present the third annual Chicago songSlam on Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 7:00pm at Nichols Concert Hall, Evanston, IL.
songSlam is a unique opportunity for 10 composer/performer teams to premiere new art songs and compete for cash prizes. Each team will present a new song of 5 minutes or less for voice and piano in any language for the voting audience, who - in the poetry slam tradition - will then vote on their favorites via text message and award $2,000 in prize money.
This event will be emcee'd by Chicago composer Stacy Garrop, whose recent premieres include The Battle for the Ballot for the Cabrillo Festival, The Transformation of Jane Doe for Chicago Opera Theater, and Beacon of the Bay for The Boston Trio.
1) Registration for teams is $20 USD and opens on Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 6pm CST on a first-come, first-served basis.
2) Performance slots will be given to the first 10 applicants to apply; there will also be space for 5 alternate slots in the event of cancellations. The registration fee will be refunded to those teams who do not make the performance or alternate list.
3) Original compositions presented at the Chicago songSLAM must:
be composed for voice and piano
feature texts that are in the public domain or have
written and signed permission from the author/trust (more info on this to come once accepted)
receive their world premiere at our event.
4) Songs should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
5) A composer can only submit ONE song for the event. Performers can only perform in ONE song for the event.
6) Texts may be in any language.
7) There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
8) Composer must be present for the premiere.
9) Poets may be a part of the team.
10) Further prizes may be granted at the discretion of the Co-Artistic Directors of Sparks & Wiry Cries, including but not limited to: online publication and sales of any song(s) of their choosing, hosted through Sparks & Wiry Cries’ website, and possible inclusion in a songSLAM song book published through New Music Shelf. Sparks & Wiry Cries and Fourth Coast Ensemble will never claim ownership of the music premiered at any songSLAM. The rights to the premiered works will remain solely within the Artistic team that applied and how they see fit to divide any assets. Sparks may ask for permission from the entire team to use the recording in their promotional materials.
11) Teams should be complete at the time of registration and must consist of at least two people. Composer/poet can be either pianist or singer.
12) Completed scores must be submitted by March 25, 2022.
Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!